January 7, 2016 – Akron, Ohio: Tempe Digital today announced the immediate availability of a 3-Disc Ultimate Edition of the 1990 landmark independent shocker The Dead Next Door, the boutique cult label’s first HD release. Featuring Blu-ray, DVD, and soundtrack CD discs, the release follows a successful Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to help fund the extensive restoration work, along a handful of limited theatrical screenings last fall.
Indie Cult Classic
“The Dead Next Door”
Now Available As Feature-Packed 3-Disc Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
First time in high-definition, restored from original film elements
Two and a half decades before “The Walking Dead” made zombies mainstream on cable television, 19-year-old writer/director J.R. Bookwalter (“Ozone,” “Witchouse 2: Blood Coven”) embarked on “The Dead Next Door,” an ambitious horror feature pitting an élite team of Zombie Squad soldiers against hoards of the undead and the secretive religious cult hell-bent on protecting them. The film would ultimately take four years to complete with the help of a now-famous Hollywood director and more than 1,500 Northeast Ohio residents, who portrayed the multitudes of bloodthirsty ghouls.
For this one-of-a-kind release, brand-new 4:3 and 16:9 1080p HD masters have been painstakingly created from a 2K restoration using the original Super-8mm film elements. Also included is a 5.1 surround mix which restores the voices of the original cast members for the first time ever, vintage and newly-prepared bonus materials, audio commentaries, and the original standard-definition VHS and DVD masters used for previous releases.
The first 1,000 units are numbered and signed by the director, with reversible “retro” artwork and an eight-page, full-color booklet with liner notes by FANGORIA Editor-in-Chief Michael Gingold.
Priced at $34.99 with free USA shipping, “The Dead Next Door” Ultimate Edition Blu-ray is available while supplies last exclusively from the Tempe Online Store, with additional outlets to be announced in the near future. Collectables including a reversible theatrical poster, Zombie Squad iron-on patch, and limited VHS of the original 1990 version are also available.
“THE DEAD NEXT DOOR”
Ultimate Edition Blu-ray — Final Specs:
Disc 1 (Blu-ray)
- 2K Restored Feature in 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio (1.33:1)
- 2K Restored Feature in 16:9 Widescreen (1.78:1)
- DTS HD-MA 5.1 Surround Original Cast Mix
- DTS HD-MA 5.1 Surround Classic Dubbed Mix
- Audio Commentary with producers J.R. Bookwalter, Jolie Jackunas and Scott P. Plummer
- “Restoration of the Dead” Featurette (19 mins.)
- Capitol Theatre Screening Q&A (12 mins.)
- The Nightlight Screening Q&A (16 mins.)
- Behind the Scenes Footage (19 mins.)
- Deleted Scenes & Outtakes (7 mins.)
- Storyboard Gallery (27 mins.)
- Around The World Gallery (4 mins.)
- Behind The Scenes Gallery (9 mins.)
- Production Stills Gallery (6 mins.)
- Tempe Digital Trailers: The Dead Next Door (2015 Version), Platoon of the Dead (2009), Poison
Disc 2 (DVD)
- 1990 Original VHS Version with Stereo 2.0 English and Spanish Dubbed Mixes (82 mins.)
- 2015 Audio Commentary with Doug Tilley and Moe Porne of The No-Budget Nightmares Podcast
- 2005 Remastered DVD Version with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and Stereo 2.0 Mixes (78 mins.)
- 2005 Audio Commentary with writer/director J.R. Bookwalter, actor Michael Todd and cinematographer Michael Tolochko, Jr.
- Rare Short Films with Audio Commentary: “The Flesh Eater,” “Zombie” and “Tomorrow” (22 mins.)
- Local TV Appearances (15 mins.)
- “The Dead Up North” Canada Screening (10 mins.)
- 1995 Making-of Excerpts (9 mins.)
- Local TV Commercials (2 mins.)
- 20 Years in 15 Minutes (16 mins.)
- Video Storyboards (8 mins.)
- Video Pre-Shoots (6 mins.)
- Auditions (14 mins.)
- 2000 Frightvision Reunion (6 mins.)
- Three Miles Out Music Video (3 mins.)
- Tempe Video Trailers: The Dead Next Door, Kingdom of the Vampire (1991), Ozone, The Sandman, Polymorph
Disc 3 (CD)
- Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Score by J.R. Bookwalter with Unreleased Songs by Joy Circuit, Argus, In-Nine and Three Miles Out
Packaging (First 1,000 Units Only)
- 8-Page Color Booklet with Liner Notes by FANGORIA Editor-in-Chief Michael Gingold
- Reversible Retro 1990 VHS Artwork Autographed by Writer/Director J.R. Bookwalter
- Numbered Limited Edition
About Tempe Video
Founded in 1991 during the heyday of the VHS format, Tempe Video has a lengthy history of distributing independent, low-budget features and special interest titles. The company cemented a reputation as “the Criterion of direct-to-video features” in 2003 after branching into DVD with a line of nationally distributed, feature-packed Special Editions.
Tempe’s eclectic catalog of horror and cult fare includes the all-star dramedy “Eddie Presley” (directed by Jeff Burr), Showtime documentary “Something to Scream About” (directed by Jason Paul Collum), and “The Dead Next Door,” a sprawling zombie epic directed by J.R. Bookwalter, which celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2015.
Like us on Facebook!
“The Dead Next Door” on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094962/
Online Store: http://tempevideo.tictail.com/